Welcome future scientist to the exciting World of Honors Physics and Chemistry
Get ready to lift off on a fascinating journey to infinity and beyond. My name is Professor Sorrel. As of this year I have been serving as a science educator for over thirty years. I wear many hats for multiple schools, including serving as your Honors Chemistry Instructor at WSMHS. I also sponsor the WSMHS Engineering Team. I'm referred to as Professor Sorrel for my work in the past for Louisiana School of Math Science and Arts as a virtual instructor, time as an instructor the university level and extensive expertise in science, technology, engineering and math at a multitude of educational levels. My students have made marks on the national scene throughout my career with amazing high power rockets they have designed, and flown. Rocket's by past students have been featured a multitude of times on the news, and in many publications. At the core of my teaching approach is "real science" and engineering to help you truly understand the world around you while developing your creative, complex and critical thinking skills through authentic problems solving. Let us move on to the heart of the matter.
This page will only serve as an introduction to point you toward your online “Black Board” page where announcements, course content, discussion boards, class policies, grading and more will be located. After reading this introduction go to "Course Expectations" and read the syllabus. Have your parents read through the syllabus as well. A copy will be made available on black board for you to print and keep.
Each day do the following:
- Log on to black board every day to check for any new announcements. You are accountable to do whatever is announced. This is your homework board and more.
- Check your email! Class emails and individual emails are sent often with very important information!
- Print lecture notes or other materials you will need for class.
- Look out for bonus point certificates found in announcements from time to time.
- Check your grades often at the student/parent command center. If you have grade questions, talk to me outside of class time politely and I will be happy to help you.
- Don’t hesitate to write if you have questions. My contact information is below.
My Daily Schedule
- 4th Period -- Honors Physics
- 5th Period -- Honors Chemistry
- 6th Period -- Professional Period
- 7th Period -- Physical Science
With Warmest Regards,
Honors Physics / Chemisty Instructor
West St. Mary High School
Phone: (337) 924-7990