JS Aucoin Elementary agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
- Consistent with section 1118, the school will work to ensure that the required school level parent and family engagement policies meet the requirements of section 1118 of the ESEA, and each include, as a component, a school-parent compact consistent with section 1118(d) of the ESEA. (See Enclosure)
- Schools will notify parents of the policy in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand. The policy will be made available to the local community and updated periodically to meet the changing needs of parents and the school.
- In carrying out the Title I, Part A, parent and family engagement requirements, to the extent practicable, the school will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports required under section 1111 of the ESEA in an understandable and uniform format and including alternative formats upon request and, to the extent practicable, in language parents understand.
- If the school-wide program plan for Title I, Part A, developed under section 1114(b) of the ESEA, is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school will submit any parent comments with the plan when the school submits the plan to the local educational agency, Mary Parish.
- The school will involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A schools in decisions about how the 1 percent of Title I, Part A funds reserved for parent and family engagement is spent, and will ensure that not less than 95 percent of the 1 percent reserved goes directly to the schools.
- The school will build its own and the parent’s capacity for strong parent and family engagement, to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- The school will provide other reasonable support for parent and family engagement activities under section 1118 of the ESEA as the parents may request.
- The school will be governed by the following statutory definition of parent and family engagement, and will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition: Parent and family engagement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
- that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
- that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
- that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
- the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.