Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education: Pre-K-3 from Nicholls State UniversityLouisiana State Certified https://www.teachlouisiana.net/teachers.aspx?PageID=416
Mrs. A. Fernandez
Here is a little information about me!
- About Me: My name is Amanda (Rhodes) Fernandez and I will be 30 years old on August 12. I have been married for 4 years, and I have a 2 year old daughter who is the light of my life! Becoming a parent has definitely helped me to become a better and more understanding teacher. I always try to think in terms of "if this was my child, what would I want her teacher to do?"
- I LOVE the beach, cats, and ANYTHING caramel or cherry flavored. Some of my favorite foods are Bluebell Pralines and Cream ice cream, pecan pralines, pizza, and cheeseburgers! I also love any kind of caramel flavored coffee/creamer.
- My favorite things to do outside of school are spending time with my daughter and husband, waterfowl hunting, fishing, or watching Netflix and Hulu.
- My favorite colors are pink, mint green, and rose gold.
- Teaching Experience: I have taught kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade during the span of my career, and now I am making the move to 3rd grade ELA! I have been teaching at Hattie Watts for 6 years. I graduated from Nicholls State University in 2010, and have been teaching for a total of 8.5 years. I have worked all over the parish in many different schools, but Hattie Watts is most definitely where my heart is. Teaching is my passion, and I love working with young children. My favorite subjects to teach are reading and science, and I strive to provide hands-on learning experiences and opportunities whenever possible. I love technology and plan on using our student laptops to maximize instruction and student engagement this year.
- Strengths: I would say that my strengths are working with ADD/ADHD and special-needs students and inspiring my students to learn by making them feel smart, confident, and loved. I am a fierce advocate for all of my students, and I will always fight for them to have all of the help, tools, and resources that they need to be successful. My goal is to maintain a classroom environment where students feel safe, confident, supported, and secure while they are learning. I believe that EVERY child deserves a success story!