Smoking: Tobacco and Vaping
In accordance with the Tobacco-Free Act of Louisiana, all properties owned and operated by the St. Mary Parish School District are tobacco-free. “Properties” is defined as school buildings and grounds, as well as any mode of transportation owned and operated by St. Mary Parish School District. Additionally, any and all forms of tobacco are strictly prohibited at all school related events, whether the event is scheduled during regular school hours or after school hours. This policy refers to any and all persons including staff, students, and visitors.
Students who are found to be in possession of tobacco or vaping products, tobacco or vaping paraphernalia/contraband, or any smoking object/device, including but not limited to electronic cigarettes, advanced personal vaporizers, vape pens, vape mods, and all similar devices on school board property (including school vans, trucks, and/or buses) during the school day, as well as after school hours, will be subjected to the following discipline procedures:
Students with vaping violations will be assigned to the in-school suspension center as follows:
- 1st Offense: 2 days of ISS and a mandatory health session
- 2nd Offense: 3 days of ISS and a mandatory health session
- All other offenses: 3 days of ISS pending a disciplinary hearing with Child Welfare & Attendance Hearing Officers.
Students with tobacco violations will be assigned to the in-school suspension center as follows:
- 1st Offense:1 day of ISS and a mandatory health session
- 2nd Offense: 2 days of ISS and a mandatory health session
- 3rd Offense: 3 days of ISS pending a disciplinary hearing with the Child Welfare & Attendance Supervisor
- All other offenses: 3 days of ISS with or without a disciplinary hearing with Child Welfare & Attendance Hearing Officers
In addition, the student and a parent must attend all mandatory health educational session. The session will be presented by the Safe and Drug-Free Schools Coordinator.
- Any failure to complete the mandatory health session by the assigned deadline will result in an added day of in-school suspension to fulfill the consequences as outlined.
- Any student caught selling vapes or vaping products will be assigned to ISS pending a disciplinary hearing and will be required to attend a mandatory health session.
- Parental permission to use tobacco/vaping products or have tobacco/vaping paraphernalia/contraband does not exempt a student from this policy.
Administrative Procedure for Processing Students
The principal/assistant principal will:
- Confiscate the tobacco/paraphernalia.
- Call the parent/legal guardian of the student to come to the school for a conference on the day of the infraction.
- Assign the student to the in-school suspension center.
- Assign and explain the health educational session which is mandatory for both student and parent to attend.
- Have the parent sign the appropriate documentation.
- Make a copy of the signed documentation.
- Call and send a copy of the signed documentation to the Safe and Drug-Free Schools Department for scheduling.
- Check for student certificate of completion.
Note: This policy also includes random parking lot searches; if tobacco/paraphernalia is visible or found in a vehicle driven by the student, the student may also be subject to the above discipline procedure.
- Electronic cigarette(s)
- Chewing / Smokeless Tobacco
- Rolling Papers
- Vaping Devices