School Bus Transportation
The St. Mary Parish School Board operates 61 school buses transporting approximately 5,000 school children twice daily.
In order for you to understand the regulations covering the conduct of your child while he is riding a school bus, the following information is provided for a safer and more efficient transportation program. It is requested that you and your child read these regulations.
ST. MARY PARISH SCHOOL BOARD RULES AND REGULATIONS
FOR PUPILS TRANSPORTED IN SCHOOL BUSES:
- Students must be on time at a designated stop. Time of stop can vary 10 minutes before published time and or 10 minutes after published time.
- Students must obey the driver promptly and cheerfully.
- Obey and respect the orders from the bus patrol on duty.
- Help to keep the bus clean and sanitary. Anyone purposely damaging, cutting, or breaking school property will be disciplined and will be required to pay damages before returning to school.
- Avoid causing trouble by teasing, pulling hair, scuffling, or using unfit language. These are causes for suspension from riding the bus.
- Arms and head must be kept inside the bus windows at all times. Nothing is to be thrown out of windows.
- There should be no moving around or changing seats while the bus is in motion. Move to another seat while the bus is stopped only if given permission by the driver. If assigned to a seat by the driver, stay in that seat.
- Loud talking will not be tolerated. Conversation in normal tones is permissible.
- Obtain permission from the driver before opening windows when it is cold or raining.
- No student should expect special privileges.
- The middle aisle should not be blocked by students occupying the seat next to the aisle.
- No student will be allowed to ride another bus or be discharged at a different stop without permission from the School Board Office and Bus Driver.
- Only those sized band instruments, which are on the approved list, may be carried on the bus.
NOTE: Any violation of any of the above rules and regulations may be reason for disciplinary action, suspension, or expulsion.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE BUS:
- Alcohol, Drugs, Pets (cats, dogs, etc.); Glass objects (except eye-glasses); Weapons (including knives); Objects too large to be held in your lap or placed under your seat.
- The following band instruments are not allowed on the bus: Marching Trombone; Flugel Horn; Marching Baritone (in GIG BAG); Euphonium (in GIG BAG); Bell Kit; Snare Kit (high school SQUARE CASE TYPE).
- Tobacco, Matches, Cigarette Lighters, Obscene Material.
NOTE: Any high school or junior high school student who participates in a fight on a school bus will be arrested and discharged to his or her parents at the police station.