Digital Citizenship Curriculum: Kindergarten
St. Mary Parish Schools has implemented the Common Sense K-12 Digital Citizenship Curriculum, which is designed "to empower students to think critically, behave safely, and participate responsibly in our digital world." At the kindergarten level, the school librarian is delivering face-to-face lessons that include videos, student handouts, and grade-level appropriate activities in an effort to educate our children about staying safe online.
Parents are invited to view all Kindergarten lessons by visiting the Common Sense Media website, the source of these lesson and handouts.
Lessons will focus on six core topics:
- Media Balance & Well-Being
- Privacy & Security
- Digital Footprint & Identity
- Relationships & Communication
- Cyberbullying, Digital Drama, & Hate Speech
- News & Media Literacy
For some lesson, the curriculum includes:
- A Family Tip Sheet, which provides adults with information that reinforces the lessons taught in class.
- A Student Activity Sheet, a worksheet that can be completed at home to promote discussion of the lesson's topic.