District News Archive (2016)
Principal Appointed to Replace Retiring Elementary SupervisorPosted by District at 12/21/2016 12:00:00 PM
Mrs. Suzanne Bergeron, principal of Patterson Junior High School, has been appointed Supervisor of Elementary Education. She will be replacing Mrs. Mary Ann Hebert, who is retiring after a 36-year career in education.
Mr. Mark Spradling, current assistant principal at Patterson High School, has been tapped as acting principal for Patterson Junior High. He will be replaced at PHS by Ms. Natasha Jackson, who will be assuming the position as acting assistant principal.
Students and Employees of the Month Recognized by School BoardPosted by District at 12/9/2016
As part of its December 8, 2016, regular meeting, the St. Mary Parish School Board recognized and congratulated the following individuals:
- Student of the Month: Bill Cao, 5th Grade (J. S. Aucoin Elementary School)
- Student of the Month: Deniyajh Madison, 5th Grade (LaGrange Elementary School)
- Student of the Month: Lanie Daigle, 12th Grade (Franklin Senior High School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Lisa Durham, Special Education Teacher (J. S. Aucoin Elementary School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Hilda Adams, Pre-K Paraprofessional (LaGrange Elementary School)
- Employee of the Month: Mr. Todd Viator, History Teacher/Athletic Director (Franklin Senior High School)
St. Mary Parish Ranked 17th in LouisianaPosted by District at 11/18/2016 8:00:00 AM
In district and school performance scores released today by the Louisiana Department of Education, St. Mary was awarded a district letter grade of "B," marking substantial growth over the 2015 DPS. As the highest "B" district in Louisiana, St. Mary Parish is within .8 points of receiving the distinction of an “A” district.
Rankings of the 72 school districts receiving performance score ratings in the 2016 data release establishes the district’s rise of five spots to 17th in the state. St. Mary continued to outpace the state, whose performance score decreased from 88.8 in 2015 to 83 in 2016.
Students and Employees of the Month Recognized by School BoardPosted by District at 11/11/2016
As part of its November 10, 2016, regular meeting, the St. Mary Parish School Board recognized and congratulated to the following individuals:
- Student of the Month: Carly Adyan, 12th Grade (Berwick High School)
- Student of the Month: Ethan Blanco, 8th Grade (Morgan City Junior High School)
- Student of the Month: Michael Ishcomer, 12th Grade (Centerville High School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Bobbye Jo Castaneda, Social Studies Teacher ( Berwick High School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Jill Tamporello, Guidance Counselor (Morgan City Junior High School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Shelia Bodin, Cafeteria Technician (Centerville High School)
School Board Honors School PsychologistsPosted by District at 11/11/2016
The St. Mary Parish School Board, in recognition that, among other duties, school psychologists facilitate collaboration between parents and educators to identify and reduce risk factors for students, has designated November as School Psychology Month across the district.
Students and Employees of the Month Recognized by School BoardPosted by District at 10/14/2016 8:00:00 AM
As part of its October 13, 2016, regular meeting, the St. Mary Parish School Board recognized and congratulated to the following individuals:
- Student of the Month: LaGracia Hunt, 5th Grade (J. B. Maitland Elementary School)
- Student of the Month: Kae' Audreyah Daniels, 5th Grade (W. P. Foster Elementary School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Angela Brinkley, 5th Grade Teacher (J. B. Maitland Elementary School)
- Employee of the Month: Ms. Natasha Jackson, Physical Education Teacher (W. P. Foster Elementary School)
St. Mary Parish Announces Red Ribbon Week Celebrations: October 21-30Posted by District at 10/14/2016
Educators and students are encouraged to wear special red ribbons throughout Red Ribbon Week week to show their stand against drugs. Ms. Gidget Everitt, event chairperson, has also announced the following Red Ribbon Week activities:
- Saturday, October 22nd: Police, Fire, and Support Personnel motorcade will travel from Glencoe Charter to the Amelia Fire Department to honor the start of Red Ribbon Week.
- Monday, October 24th: Wear ORANGE DAY to show unity against bullying. K-5th will sign orange anti-bullying pledge, and red ribbons will be distributed to all K-12 staff and students.
- Wednesday, October 26th: Wear RED DAY. D.A.R.E. to say NO to Drugs!
- Friday, October 28th: Wear PURPLE DAY for Domestic Violence Awareness Day. Hands are not for hitting!
- Saturday, October 29th: Zoo-to-Boo Family FUN day
Cyber Security Awareness Month and Digital Citizenship WeekPosted by District at 10/14/2016
In order to promote awareness of the advantages and responsibilities involved in safely using the Internet, the St. Mary Parish School Board has proclaimed October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month and the week of October 16-22, 2016, as Digital Citizenship Week.
The proclamation, submitted by Mr. Kevin Derise, Chief Technology Officer, marks the official release of the district's Digital Citizenship curriculum, which will be delivered to students in Grades K-12. Parents and guardians are invited to preview the entire curriculum at commonsensemedia.org.
As a NCSAM champion, St. Mary Parish will be providing suggestions to parents and community members regarding additional steps that can be taken in homes to promote cyber security through our CyberSAFE blog. The blog can be found at the bottom of every district website.
National School Lunch Week and Veteran's Day ProclamationsPosted by District at 10/14/2016
The St. Mary Parish School Board proclaimed the week of October 10-14, 2016, as National School Lunch Week based on a request by Ms. Claire Guarisco, supervisor of district's Child Nutrition Department, during the board's regular meeting on Thursday, October 13.
The board also reserved November 11, 2016, for the observation of Veteran's Day based on a proclamation presented by Ms. Amber Monceaux, Social Studies Program Manager.