Special Education Advisory Council Membership
The St. Mary Parish School Board is seeking applications for membership on the Special Education Advisory Council (SEAC). The Council advises and assists the school district with the provision of a free and appropriate public education for individuals with disabilities. It exists by authority of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to provide guidance on special education programs and services. In accordance with R.S. 17:1944, HB: 946. The council's membership is composed as follows:
Fifty percent of the membership is comprised of:
- Parents or legal guardians of students with an exceptionality, other than gifted and talented, who are enrolled in a St. Mary Parish school or who are receiving special education services from the public school governing authority. Any employee of the school district is not able to serve in this capacity however.
- One high school student with an exceptionality, other than gifted and talented
- One person who represents an entity that serves students with disabilities or families of students with disabilities and who is not an employee of the school district.
Ten percent of the membership shall be:
- Stakeholders who are not represented by council members selected under Section A or Section C of this document.
One member shall be:
- A teacher, principal, or paraprofessional who serves students with disabilities and who works in a St. Mary Parish school.
*The council meets three times per year. Prospective members are asked to consider their availability to attend all scheduled meetings.
Anyone who meets the above category and who wishes to become a part of the Special Education Advisory Committee is asked to complete the online application by Friday, October 21, 2022. Upon making the appointment, Superintendent Bagwell or Designee will notify the council member by Monday, October 31, 2022.