Electronic Telecommunication Devices (Cell Phone Use for Students)
ELECTRONIC TELECOMMUNICATION DEVICES
FILE: JCDAE Cf: JD
In accordance with RS 17:239, students are not permitted to use or operate any electronic telecommunication device unless authorized by the school principal. The St. Mary Parish School System and /or individual schools will not be held responsible for lost, stolen, confiscated, or damaged electronic devices. The St. Mary Parish School System will abide by the following regulation of cell phones on school campuses.
- Students in Grades PK- 5: Cell phones are not permitted on campus during regular school hours for any reason for students in PK – 5th grades.
- Students in Grades 6-12
- Use or operation of cell phones is not permitted in any school bus used to transport public school students.
- Use or operation of cell phones is not permitted from the time students arrive on campus until the final dismissal bell rings. Cell phone usage for any purpose is not permitted during school hours. Use or operation includes but is not limited to the following:
- Any visual and/or audible signal during school hours,
- Talking, sending or receiving text messages, listening to music, or taking or receiving pictures/video on the
- Students choosing to bring a cell phone to campus must secure it in the off position completely powered down in a car or school locker during school hours.
- Consequences for Violation:
- First offense - The cell phone will be confiscated by school administration for 15 days. The cell phone will be given to the parent following a conference after the 15-day period.
- Second offense- The cell phone will be confiscated by school administration for 30 days and the student will receive 3 days of in-school suspension.
- Subsequent offense - The parent and child will have a hearing with the child welfare and attendance officer with a recommendation of a 45-day assignment to the St. Mary Alternative Program. The cell phone will be confiscated for 45 days.
Revised: August, 2003
Revised: November, 2006
Revised: November, 2004
Revised: September, 2010
Revised: June, 2011
Ref: La. Rev. Stat. Ann. 17:239, 17:416, 17:416.1
Board minutes, 7-08-04, 7-13-06, 9-9-10, 6-9-11